The wet coating of a toxic black mold colony usually prevents its spores from becoming airborne. If its moisture source runs out though, a toxic black mold colony can dry out and release many of its spores into the air. … Disturbing toxic black mold can also cause a lot of toxic spores to enter … Read more
Because mold is often invisible to the untrained eye, usually the only way the authorities get wind of it is through a resident’s sickness or structural damage to the home. All governments reserve the right to condemn a house if it is deemed hazardous.
Can a Home That Has Mold Be Repaired Enough to Consider Buying It? … Mold spores, which are caused by a fungus, grow in moisture. The spores multiply and spread, and can cause health problems that range from mild to serious. You aren’t ready to walk away, but mold is scary.
Exposure to mold, via skin contact, ingestion, or inhalation, can result in allergic reactions, infections, or toxic (poisonous) effects. The associated symptoms range from a rash and cold and flu-like effects to neurological damage and even death.
Before you buy any home, you should have it inspected for mold and other problems. … Sellers also have to disclose if there is an ongoing mold problem in the house or if it has previously flooded, but they don’t always do so. Never take a seller’s or real estate agent’s word about the presence … Read more
Plain and simple: you just need to remove it. Since no visible mold growth belongs in a healthy home (no matter what the type) and all mold should be removed the same way, there is usually no need to identify what types and concentrations of mold you have via testing.
Exposure to damp and moldy environments may cause a variety of health effects, or none at all. Some people are sensitive to molds. For these people, molds can cause nasal stuffiness, throat irritation, coughing or wheezing, eye irritation, or, in some cases, skin irritation.
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) notes that any moldy areas less than 10 square feet (about 3 feet by 3 feet) can be remediated by the homeowner. … In most cases, it is better to have a mold remediation contractor do the work than a general contractor.
In general, the smell of mold is unpleasant, and smells like something is moist in the room. Some people compare it to the smell of wet socks, or rotten wood or paper. When mold eats, grows and multiplies, it releases Microbial Volatile Organic Compounds (MVOC).
As a home seller, you cannot afford to mess around with mold growth. You can deal with mold in a responsible way that should help you sell your home for a fair price, and clear you of any liability should the mold return after the sale – but you must deal with the problem directly.